Monday, January 19, 2015

Chemical-Free Hippie Hair

Hi. I'm Taylor. One of my 2015 resolutions is to go chemical free. I'm almost there :)

In this post I will tell you what I used to use and what I use now. I learned everything I know through talking with others and researching various blogs found on Pinterest. I'm no professional. This is just what works for me! Do I feel different? Yeah! It's weird! Who would've thought?

My hair 5 months chemical-free.

Where it all started... Shampoo & Conditioner:
I used to be a shampoo snob. My shower had so many different kinds of shampoos, conditioners, conditioning treatments, etc. I was a Kiwi (from the salon) girl for awhile, and then I was a broke girl, so that had to go. Then, I was a Tresemme girl. Then, I was an Organix girl. Then Pantene (I tried every kind). Then Garnier Fructis. Then Aussie. Then back to Pantene. Then back to Organix. Why did I still hate my hair?! I tried "Hask Placenta" (EW, what even is that?), hot oil treatments, 3 Minute Miracle, Cholesterol, you name it. Just typing these out is making me cringe at the amounts of money I've spent all my life on hair care products. And then, my hair would look like sh*t at the end of the day. Why was I doing this?

Now: I scrub with baking soda 2 to 3 times per week. On all other days I was my hair (if necessary), I use Dr. Bronner's Castile Soap. I dilute these in water. About half and half. If I need conditioning, I use apple cider vinegar diluted in water. No it doesn't make your hair smell weird and honestly my hair looks better than ever. Someone told me I should be in shampoo commercials! (Funny, because the only reason my hair looks like this is because I DON'T use it.)

Face Wash:
This is going to be the same thing as my shampoo and conditioner. The list goes on and on and on and on and on and on. I guess it all started with my horrible acne that began in middle school (which actually stopped when I stopped eating dairy at age 23, but that's a different story for a different day). I tried Clean & Clear, Neutrogena, AcneFree, Clinique, ProActiv, dermatologist prescription creams, birth control pills, and eventually I began using an awesome brand called Eminence Organics. I absolutely loved Eminence. It was $40 a bottle though... I needed to save money and there weren't many other places I could cut costs because I already didn't buy anything! 

Now: Baking soda. Just make it into a paste and scrub your face with it. You can even use it to get makeup off of your eyes. I only wash my face once a day. It hasn't dried it out, so I guess it's legit.

Body Wash:
I have only ever used 2 conventional body washes in life. Dove and Dial. I'm having a hard time giving up my Dial, but it has TRICLOSAN in it which is known to be harmful to our bodies. But I'm currently searching around for one I love.

Now: I buy handmade soap from the local health food store or Etsy. I haven't used the same one twice to recommend to you though.

Deoderant:
Teen Spirit, Degree, ArridXX, Dove, Secret, Secret Clinical... Did you know that all of these include aluminum, an ingredient known to cause Alzheimer's?!

Now: Bee Blissful Beauty from Etsy makes an amazing deoderant scented with lavender and mint oil! Smells like perfection and works better than anything I've ever used!

Pharmeceuticals:
I'm not even going to lie to y'all... the only thing that ever made me feel better was painkillers. I must've taken Advil so much that I became immune to it, because literally nothing worked! I could take 2 Benadryl and it wouldn't touch me. I had to take pills prescribed to my DAD who is like 200 pounds heavier than me to feel better. I took antibiotics nearly every month. My life wasn't pretty!

NowVegan Shakeology, probiotics, detox baths, essential oils. :)

Live well my friends,
Taylor

No comments :

Post a Comment